Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Is self destruct in your DNA?

If you read the about Scott section you'll know that I'm a media content producer for a corporation.  In a nutshell I take the company's wishes, hopes, dreams, prayers and strategies and add copy, visuals, music in order to establish visual representations.  Pretty simple as long as you can emotionally connect with the ideas.  Being in this business since the early 80's has offered me, what most would consider a lifetime of exposure to some of the most creative people in the world.  Given that exposure, I've learned a great deal about observation.  Most of my posts will be about things I have observed or I'm at present observing them unfold to later deliver a synopsis. Future posts are expected to have titles like, "Cut me some slack, Cracker Jack" and "Watch out for the X's".  On to today's topic, Is self destruct in your DNA?  

I heard from my brother this morning that a mutual friend of ours was picked up for DUI.  DUI you would think, big deal!  Big deal for him though!  He held a high position in government law enforcement.  Had everything going for him, he paid his dues and landed a great state job with the world as his oyster.  Three homes in different cities, three children, two of them still in public schools...I don't have to paint this picture anymore...you know the image and you know the outcome.  The next day he was forced to resign his position.  I certainly hope he can rebound because he is a great guy.  But the reality he's facing now is some that you would never want to face.  You can imagine what a blow this is to his household, his wife makes good money as well, but when 2/3 of your income is gone in an instant you have no choice but to have fire sales and then begin self reflection and rebuilding.  Man I feel for him! This is self destruction, it's a personal atomic detonation.  But that brings me to my question, Was there something in his DNA that pre-disposed him to this outcome?  My observation would be an emphatic NO! But there could have been warning signs.  Warning signs that within his family tree there have been instances of erratic behavior from adults.  It could've been environmental factors that weighed in as well...I don't know, I'm not a professional in the field, just an observer.  

But the main idea I'm trying to get to is that if there is a history of erratic behavior in your family tree, be aware of it...it's life...it's normal to have some history of such.  But don't introduce external factors that would increase the likelihood that you would repeat history. Re-mold history .... My Dad told me once that I should never set myself up for a fall by throwing the same solution at the same scenario and expecting different results.  Come at it from another angle, he said.  But my Dad is another story for a later date.  

To conclude, bad things happen to good people.  This guy is a good guy and I hope he steps out of his life and looks at it .... I think it's called self-reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment